Sunday, June 10, 2007

Idiots travel on footboard

And I was one of them some time back…
Chidambara Vilas, Sri Krishna, Thangam, Velankanni PP... all these names will be familiar to anyone commuting in the Trichy-Thanjavur route. For a few like me these are parts of a wonderful past that would never come back. Studying in one of those self-financing engineering colleges u cannot expect all the staff to be knowledgeable ….Niraya per book-la irukuratha vanthu re-telecast pannuvanga.. atha naanga directa book-la irunthe padika matoma? So u need an external motivation to attend college and I had one very strong motivation - the half an hour travel from training center to college on foot board (mind u I am not kidding!! I had one of the highest attendances in my dept every semester :D ). I was not alone, lot many college goers would enjoy that travel. Among them was my set of friends. Couple of my friends (read kiku and pavikutti) would have already boarded in Trichy and will be sitting in the last row waiting for us. Velankanni PP was our favorite bus in the morning as it would be reasonably crowded compared to other buses and we can comfortably travel in it (athavathu vasadia footboard la nikkalaam!! mathathula thothanum... romba strain u see!!). Antha bus conductor-um namma friend thaan so no issues at all. Foot-board la kaathu vangitu friends oda kathai pesite pona… the day will have a gr8 start.
For someone who has always traveled to school two streets away the 30 KM travel to college looked very difficult in first year. As ever I started with a ‘safety clause’ from my parents in the early days – College bus la mattum thaan poganumnu. Traveling in college bus can sometimes be the worst experience with all the faculties traveling with us.. free-a irukaathu. And our Thatha driver will be using the Brake pedal more than the accelerator to make sure that it takes atleast twice the time to reach the destination. Aiya was traveling by this bus for sometime but athuku mela thaangala. So I shifted to mofussil buses. Arambathula I took bus pass and traveled in select buses that allow passes but later I realized that the trouble of traveling in them is not worth the money and thus I shifted to other buses. Initially I’ll travel on foot-board only if there was no other go but found it to be so enjoyable that I started to travel on it regularly. Add to that KKPs comedy on board. We’ll have elaborate discussions about everything there.. as if we had no other place.
Looking back it all looks a little stupid to take such risks but I cannot deny that I enjoyed every bit of it.
After completing BE it was 3 long years before I actually traveled on foot board (this time it was out of need :) )– that was once in Hyderabad – it evoked all those fond memories but it wasn’t as enjoyable as it used to be without my friends, without those discussions about KKPs adventures (or should I say misadventures! ), without those gossips, those last minute revision before exams.. the list would never end.. and all this in just a span of 30 minutes everyday.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

U seem to have a totally different personality ... I can never imagine u did such things :)

SK said...

Naan venumna soodam adichu sathyam pannuren!!! :P

Anonymous said...

nee sathyam ellam panna vendam.. adhellam irukattum, BIM college la romba nalla pullaya nadichutiya? un arumai perumaigalai sollalaya...

seri, now to the point... as u have asked me to comment, i have to say something... reading it was enjoyable as usual... u r back in flow...

un topic padichadhum, i thought u r going to write about the people who foot-board daily (those poruki pasanga in chennai), but was a surprise that it was abt u..
good going...

SK said...

"i thought u r going to write about the people who foot-board daily (those PORUKI PASANGA in chennai), but was a surprise that it was abt u.."
Inga enna yenna thitualaye ?!! :D

Anonymous said...

unakkae purinjirukanum....soothu vaadhu theriya pullaya irukiyae..;)

Unknown said...

idhukku soodam adichu sathyam ellam panna venaam..innum vera enna ellam secheenga sollunga...

SK said...

Foot board la travel panravan Footboard-la travel panrathuku vera alterior motives irukanumnu avasiyam illai.. it is pure enjoyment.. although too risky :D

Dinesh... Neeyum footboard aduchu naan paathu iruken ;)

Anonymous said...

I want to know only two things :

1.Did you REALLY travel on footboard?? Bcoz u give me a face tooooooo innocent to do all this!!

2. Whos dat PAVIKUTTI.. Mr/Ms??? :-) Chella peru vera... Huh..

SK said...

Ada paavame ... enna yaarum namba matengurangalae!!
Innocence doesn't have anything to do with mode of travel !!
I think there is too much of stereotyping about foot-boarders and 'bad guys/ road side romeos'. Foot board la travel panravan yellam thappana intent-oda thaan travel pannanuma? or is it like that in chennai? I've not travelled in chennai buses much so I don't know.

Pavikutti is paiyan only :D

Anonymous said...

HEY PAIAY! THIS IS YOUR FATHER!I NEVER EVEN DREAMT THAT YOU HAD DONE ALL THESE FOOT BOARD TRAVELS. YOU ARE TELLING SO LATE? I NEVER KNEW THEN. I WOULD HAVE CONDUCTED SOME SURPRISE CHECKS THEN HAD I KNOWN THAT YOU WERE CAPABLE OF INDULGING IN SUCH THINGS LIKE FOOT BOARD TRAVEL! DANGEROUS DEEDS INDEED FOR GOOD AND QUIET FELLOW LIKE YOU MY BOY!

SK said...

Escaaaaaaaaaaaapeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Anonymous said...

karthik,
enda unga appaku unnoda blog id kuduthae... ippo paaru, nalla maatikitae... unnoda leelaigal ellam onnu onna theriya pogudhu....

dinesh

SK said...

Ithuku mela theriya vera yenna iruku :D

Anonymous said...

Karthi,
I am a living proof for that. I have seen u travel in foot board. Yes karthi I totattly agree with you, those were the days travelling in VelankaniPP, man those days, Yes Velankanni PP was my favourite bus,
but found Manargudi little confortable thanks to its late arrival to Training Center. I alwasys managed to catch that bus,

good going... karthi

SK said...

Aha!!.. I have someone in sync!!.. Mannargudi was good but not suitable for us because Chit Vihar was far for us and our HOD would be waiting to greet us at the entrance if we come late :D

SK said...

Now I also know Y we didn't meet too often in the bus... Siraj, Vikram ellam used to travel with us in Valankanni PP.. hmm.. so u had the luxury of taking Mannargudi

Anonymous said...

thought u were a quiet person when i first saw u.i got really bored first.even told my father that this will not go along.but now i realize.if my father had listened to my words then i would have definitely missed u.i like walu pasanga.romba kurumba iruntha ennaku romba pedikum.